Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What a Disaster!


One of the great things about living in town now is being able to go to so many new "fun" things. We have enjoyed play groups, walks to the park, etc. So a couple of weeks ago I signed us up for our first official kid class.

Juddah and Zion love music. When any kind of music is turned on they both start bouncing and dancing around. I thought a music class would be perfect for us. I knew Juddah would be a little shy, but I thought it would be a good experience for him. After all he will be attending pre-school and kindergarten soon.

So we get our coats off. We get into the circle, and the first song comes on. Zion is running around getting into peoples purses, and baby car seats, and toys. Juddah is glued to my hip. We chase Zion, try and get him to focus on some dance moves. Juddah keeps telling me he NEEDS to go outside. Then the music teacher brings out the fun instruments. Both boys love this part of class. Juddah bangs on a triangle, and Zion uses many different rattles, and drums. The only problem was, was that class as only half over. We had to put the instruments away. Then the box was placed just behing the teacher. Zion was very upset at having to give up his precious new toys. He kept dragging the box around, and I kept picking him up, and trying to get him to participate. Juddah is of course back on my hip (so picking up Zion was tricky.) Then Juddah started crying, screaming in fact that he needed to go outside. He needed to go right now. We stuck it out until the quiet last song came on. Then I calmly got our coats, and marched out to the car with the boys. I could feel all the moms eyes on us as we walked out the door. Oh yeah and the door stand got stuck while I was trying to close the door, so I had to pull the door back and kick up the stand and then close the door again. So embarrassing. Will we go back? Yes we will. But I asked Karen if she would watch Zion next week, so I can just take Juddah. I think Juddah will do better if I can focus on making him feel confident, instead of just chasing Wild-Z around.

But what do you guys think? Should I have left when Juddah started crying? Were we taking away from the rest of the class? Should I just get my money back on the class and try something else?