Friday, July 27, 2007

Just a Few Random Things

"It's too scary" I heard Zion saying the other night. He was crying, not the fake I-want-mom-to-hold-me-all-night kind of cry. So I went to investigate. Zion was curled up into a ball, sobbing. When I asked him what he was so afraid of, he said "the shadows on the wall, mom, are too scary. And the helicopter is too scary." After sitting in the boys room for a few minutes, I realized that when a car drove by, the lights would move across the top of the wall. But the scary helicopter? I have no clue. He also kept talking about the monsters in his room. I don't know what to do about this "too scary" business. I sit with them in their room until they are almost asleep, they have a night light and a fan on all night.

****
I finally have flowers growing in my yard. Like I have mentioned before, I started everything from seed, so if you compare my flowers to my neighbors (who bought pre-grown plants for their yard, humph) then my flowers are "late bloomers." It has been fun to see bright blossoms everywhere, and even pick some.

Speaking of picking, I have been harvesting lots if basil and oregano. We have enjoyed them fresh in spaghetti and lasagna. But the plants are growing so rapidly, we can't eat all that we have. I have been drying the fragrant leaves. I hope I can chop them up, and enjoy fresh herbs later. Any tips on how to preserve flavor?

Yesterday as I was dumping my compost, my neighbor popped his head over the fence, (he surprised me, I let out a little yelp.) He commented on how much bigger my tomato and pepper plants are than his. Then he added "But I only used organic matter in my garden so that is probably why." To which I responded "Oh, I haven't put anything on my garden at all. Hmm, funny." I know I sound like a meany, but he is so nosy and exhausting, it felt good.

*****
Juddah and Zion have colds. I thought Zion was coming up to me to give me a hugs. Wrong. He was wiping his nose on me. Thanks Zion. Or as he proudly calls himself "Ziggy-Zoney." Thanks Juddah for the great nickname!