Saturday, May 19, 2007

Dandelions


I have been waging an all out war against the dandelions growing in the yard. My front and back lawns are virtually covered with these dang weeds. When I heard that vinegar was an effective way to get rid of these pesky plants, I tried it out. The day after my "test spraying" of some dandelion leaves, the dandelions were brown and dying. I danced a little jig, made a special trip to Safeway, and bought a ginormous bottle of the sour smelling stuff. Yesterday while the boys were napping I started on the front lawn. Gosh, there were so many plants to spray. I went through 32 oz of vinegar, and I didn't even get them all. Not to mention I watered the vinegar down before I started spraying. I am so pleased with how effective it was.



See all those brown dots? Now I need to invest in some grass seed, and a scare crow so all the neighborhood birds won't eat my yard up.

I know dandelion leaves are suppose to be nutritious, and people drink dandelion wine and tea, but why, why, why did the Pilgrims bring dandelions with them? Didn't it take over their herb gardens back in the old country?